First, a definition. The permanency meeting, just as i suspected, is to develop the permanency plan that will have to be met in order for the goal to be achieved. The goals were set as concurrent goals of 1) reunification with birthparents, and 2) exit to relative placement. Adoption wasn't even mentioned. Alas, earwax.
For the goal of reunification to happen, the parents (who, once again, were not present) will have to do several things, including parenting classes, drug rehab (and stability in that area), show stable and legal form of income, pay child support, and a few other things. Oh, yeah, and actually contact DCS lol. They still haven't heard word one from them.
New things we learned:
- D had 3 older siblings, not 2. They are 12, 10, and 3, and they were all adopted by a relative. So chances are very good that that relative will also get custody of D, as soon as they can find her (records are sealed, blah blah). 2 of the 3 have the same last name as D, so presumably the same father.
- D's birthparents are both either 29 or about to have their 29th birthday.
- Neither parent indicated any desire to work with CPS when D was taken into custody. They apparently told CPS that they didn't really want her. So there's a chance they'll voluntarily terminate their rights, or that they'll stay hidden until their 6 months expire and be "involuntarily" TPR'd.
So, gentle readers, please continue to say prayers every day (or, like me, at least 100 times a day) that D is raised in a happy, healthy, loving, and stable home. If that home happens to be with Alan and me, that would be great. Otherwise, please just let her stay safe!
OK, cute story time. Alan was telling D about today's meeting last night, and about how we are hoping we can adopt her and then she can stay with the puppies, and the stuffed animals, and mommy and daddy, and the swing, and that we'll buy her a swing set, and we'll give her birthday parties -- and then it happened. She SMILED her first real smile! Alan says it lasted about 45 seconds and she smiled bigger when he smiled bigger, so i think it's real. Sadly, this means our little munchkin is already a party animal lol.
I'm totally rooting for you guys, and I so hope that D is not only placed in a loving and caring home, but that she doesn't need to be uprooted again and can stay with you two. H+P
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers are with y'all, fred! I hope she's able to stay with you guys, and if she's not, I hope your hearts are healed (even though I don't know if they ever can be once you've loved like that).
ReplyDeleteOh fred! I've been so worried that something had happened since I haven't talked to you in 2 or 3 days! I truly hope she stays with you! ((hugs))
ReplyDelete