Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Interesting day

Yesterday I had a small tiff with my crazy coworker. Nothing too bad but apparently I wasn’t patient enough with her idiocy and it bothered her. She told me about it directly, which is good, because in the past she has skipped not to our boss, but to our boss’s boss (about me once and about my other coworker many times from what I’ve heard).

So this morning she didn’t say good morning or anything and I thought she must still be mad. Fine. I actually prefer when she’s not speaking to me because there’s less chance of offending her. This is the woman who once flew off the handle because I asked her “how are you doing?” instead of “how are you?” Somehow this equals "have you found another job yet?" But okay, good productive week ahead if I’m getting the silent treatment, so this is actually almost a good thing.

Then pretty early in the morning, our boss goes up to non-crazy coworker and says, “M, I need to see you for a minute.” At this point I think, “Hmmm, interesting. Wonder if he’s going to ask her if she observed what happened yesterday or if she screwed up.” Back to work. M comes back and says to me, “Boss needs to see you in the hallway.” OMG my stomach fell. I was thinking at best it had to do with crazy coworker and the minor incident yesterday, but at worst it was layoffs or something. My knees were shaking, my heart was thumping, my palms were sweating. It didn’t get worse when I got to the hallway and saw the boss was holding official-looking pieces of paper. All I could think was “Are all pink slips actually pink? Because those are white.”

Imagine my surprise when I look down at my piece of paper and discover a dollar figure. A dollar figure for the bonuses we weren’t supposed to get this year. And while not an enormous number, it was still very generous and will go a long way toward our adoption/ivf savings account. Oh my gosh I’m so thrilled! I can’t believe there’s good news 2 days in a row.

There's also a funny story attached to the bonus. Brief history: My department used to be in one division of the company and was traded over to the other (crappier) division. The reason is beyond me as we have nothing to do with what they do. Probably a political decision. This meant that we had to be stuck in one facility while the good division went to the new fancy offices. Anyway, crazy coworker is friends with one of the people who's been in the crappy division for a long time, and who is a bit of a trouble maker. He IM'd her a few weeks ago saying, "Rumor has it you guys are getting bonuses." She laughed and said no, but he persisted. So she told us and we had fun with it, saying things like, "Tell him yes, it's a 26% bonus" or "Yeah, tell him it's $50,000", just stuff totally not believable. Because we had no idea we were actually getting a bonus, so we laughed it off. She ended up telling him that she'd tell him how much if he told her who his "source" was. He was like, "OK, fine, never mind then." Bwahahahaha. We're strictly forbidden from mentioning it, but it would be pretty funny if he did find out.

In other good news, I got an email from an old friend today. ::Waves Hi to Chris:: I guess I’ve known Chris for about 13 or 14 years now, since I was about 20 and he was about 16. Something like that. We worked together at a theme park, and considering that he’s an exceptionally nice guy with good taste in music, we became good friends. We’ve lost touch a few times over the years, but it’s good to have him back now that we live in the same city. Chris and his wife has a beautiful 2 year old daughter together. I’m so happy for him.

Still waiting for the surgery coordinator people to call me about insurance and surgery timing. The nurse from my OB/GYN’s office returned my call today and I asked her about getting the doctor to write a letter to help prove to insurance that it’s A) medically necessary and b) there isn’t an in-network provider who can do it. I’m expecting the doctor to call and tell me I’m an idiot. This could be fun ;).

2 comments:

  1. What a great week you're having!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey back! Man...has it really been 14 years since we met? That's pretty much half my life. *feels old*

    Great blog and glad my random email to you wasn't the only fun thing to happen to you.

    ReplyDelete