Tuesday, September 27, 2011

48 hours of holy hell



^^This is how I feel

So, you may know that we've had some nanny issues. All was well until June (other than a few short notice cancellations and no-shows on weekends), when her car died and she couldn't pick Charlotte up from preschool (2x per week) anymore. It was supposed to be a couple of weeks. After about 6 weeks, we gave her a bonus check to help her buy a car. She still didn't buy a car, and we just kept getting lame promises all summer.

In early September, I basically laid down the law and told her she needed to get a car or have an alternative plan to get my kid home from preschool by the time we returned from vacation. She didn't. And, she didn't show up for work yesterday because she assumed she was fired. Ugh! So several hours were spent yesterday afternoon making phone calls to try to find someone to keep Char for the afternoon. DH left work at about 1:45 to pick Char up from school, and got back to work about 4:30. Ridiculousness! And where did Char end up, you ask? With a friend's FATHER. We're not just inconveniencing our friends, here, we're inconveniencing their families!

So, a back and forth conversation ensued with the nanny, and she said she assumed she was fired because she didn't have a car, and she was sorry for the inconvenience and misunderstanding. She said she really liked working for us and wanted to work for us, but she just didn't have a car yet and didn't know when she'd get one. So, we expected her today at noon.

At 11:00, I got a text message saying that she would be late because she was "still in court". And no, we had no idea she was in court, or why. Again, we had no alternatives and a couple of hours of texts, emails, and phone calls ensued to try to figure out what the hell to do! (By the way, every bit of my vacation time was taken last week, so leaving work is not an option for either of us). In the end, DH picked her up at the courthouse.

And then we did a search on why she was in court. Apparently it was a 2nd offense of driving on a suspended license. This is why she didn't have a car! So, all these weeks we've been strung along, she was most likely lying to us all along by telling us she'd have a car soon. Needless to say, I fired her tonight. Her claim is that she didn't know her license was suspended until she got to court. I don't see how this is even possible. At one point over the summer, she missed 3 days of work because she had borrowed her brother's car and then had a wreck. My guess is that the police at the scene discovered her license was suspended and that's why she ended up in court today. So I know the police at the scene would have told her that her license was suspended. They may even have arrested her at the time. So, another lie. I feel so used.

The good news is that I found a daycare facility near where I work that has immediate openings. It's a preschool type daycare of the traditional variety, so not exactly what we wanted long-term, but short-term it will be fine. We're going to check it out tomorrow to do a tour, but I know someone whose kid goes there and I have no doubt they're fine. They're a 3-star facility (the state of TN has a 3-star program), blah blah. So, with any luck, Char will be starting there on Thursday. Tomorrow, we're inconveniencing a friend but hopefully not her whole extended family lol.

And, the topping on my shit sundae was when I let my dog out of his kennel to find he'd pooped in it. Then he came back inside after I let him out and puked 2 huge nasty puddles in the living room. (By the way, DH steam cleaned the entire living room yesterday - ugh!). NOT COOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment