Monday, May 4, 2009

If You Over-Analyze As Much As i Do

You may just enjoy this blog entry. If you hate math, just go ahead and skip it. Trust me.

So I was bored at work and decided to see if it’s even theoretically possible to lose the 4-5 pounds I need to lose before the appointment. So I decided to figure out first how many calories total I’ll need to burn.

There’s 3500 calories in a pound. I need to lose 5 pounds, so that’s 17,500 calories right there. Then there’s the food I’ll eat between now and then. Let’s say 5850 calories (and yes, I realize that’s insanely low), for a total of 23,350 calories I need to burn to lose 5 pounds.

On the other side of the equation are the calories I can hope to actually burn. My basal metabolism is probably around 1870 calories per day * 9 days for a total of 16,830. That’s how much I burn just sitting around at my desk at work and sleeping, etc. If I walk at work every work day, and twice on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, that should be about 100 calories each time (it’s about 2 miles in distance), for a total of 1000 calories walking. Then if I do an exercise video every evening at 163 calories each (which is what Fitday.com says an aerobic video burns, but not sure how accurate that is), that adds up to 1467 calories. And if I somehow fit in 4 sessions of yoga, that will be 520 calories. For a grand total of 19,817 calories burned. Which is conspicuously less than the 23,350 calories I need to burn. In fact, it’s right about 3533 calories less, or just over a pound. Which means the most I can possibly burn, if I stick closely to the plan, is about 4 pounds, not 5.

The good news is that I should be able to lose some “extra” weight in water weight by not eating or drinking the morning of the appointment and possibly taking a water pill or laxative the night before. Ick, but I’m desperate enough to do it. Oh, yeah, and the big haircut lol.

So, I still have hope, but not much. I also hope that today’s weight is improved over yesterday’s. Which would give me a slight advantage over these numbers. S.L.I.G.H.T.

2 comments:

  1. I still think you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. Wii Fit says i gained 1.5 pounds since yesterday. Which probably isn't true, but there goes that slight advantage.

    ReplyDelete