
Totally non-child related post here! Saturday, Alan and I drove to Atlanta to see Frank Turner live. I've wanted to see him forever, but the only time he comes to Nashville is for Bonnaroo, and, yeah, well, that's not happening. The last time he came through Atlanta, he was opening for Flogging Molly, and I really wanted all 3 of us to go, but they were sold out so we couldn't. At that time, Char was 8 months old so I could have worn her; this time she is 2 and would never be worn long enough at a place like that, and I can't have her get trampled, so she stayed home with the in-laws (who drove here from Knoxville to stay with her for one night so we could go; wasn't that nice???).
We've had the tickets for a while, but we never actually planned the trip out much. So we took our chances when we got there in finding a hotel. We ended up staying at the Hotel Indigo a few miles down the road, which we've actually stayed at before. Our room sucked; we were next to the ice machine so we didn't sleep well, but the manager comped us $50 so that's helpful at least.
We drove up there, found the Masquerade venue (it was deserted in daytime and looked really small) and checked into the hotel, unpacked, and ran across the street to dinner at Baraocanda, an Italian place. Across from Hotel Indigo is the Fox Theater, and Wicked is playing (as it was the last time we stayed there; weird!), so it was a little crowded. The food was yummy, though.
Off we went to the Masquerade. And this time it was not remotely deserted. In fact, there were police cars with lights flashing and officers directing traffic. Lots of traffic. Alan and I start giving each other the WTF look, and pull into the parking lot. Every car was spending a lot of time with the lot attendant, which seemed odd, so we asked the attendant if we were in the right lot. We were.
Then we started noticing the people getting out of their cars in the parking lot. Now, let me tell you a bit about Frank Turner. He calls himself a folk/punk singer. Some of his songs are more folk and some more punk, but the people getting out of their cars did not look like they were dressed for a folk OR a punk show. Women in stiletto heels and fishnets, guys with arm measurements bigger than their IQ's. So we were still giving each other the WTF face.
We both decided we had to know what was happening there. So we raced each other on our Droids. I won. "Masquerade Fight Night". Twelve rings of Mixed Martial Arts, fight (nearly) to the death, no holds barred. Nothing at all like Frank Turner. Luckily, the venue has 2 sections: "Heaven" upstairs and "Hell" downstairs. Frank was in Hell, possibly not for the last time lol.
And the show ROCKED! Definitely in my top 3 of all time. And you want to know the best part? Before the show, FT went out to the merch table and chatted with someone, and I had a pretty good view (you know, through the corner of my eye when I was pretending not to stare? yeah). And I saw him leave the merch table and run up the little stairs on the side of the venue, and he looked really, really, genuinely, truly HAPPY! I loved that!
We've had the tickets for a while, but we never actually planned the trip out much. So we took our chances when we got there in finding a hotel. We ended up staying at the Hotel Indigo a few miles down the road, which we've actually stayed at before. Our room sucked; we were next to the ice machine so we didn't sleep well, but the manager comped us $50 so that's helpful at least.
We drove up there, found the Masquerade venue (it was deserted in daytime and looked really small) and checked into the hotel, unpacked, and ran across the street to dinner at Baraocanda, an Italian place. Across from Hotel Indigo is the Fox Theater, and Wicked is playing (as it was the last time we stayed there; weird!), so it was a little crowded. The food was yummy, though.
Off we went to the Masquerade. And this time it was not remotely deserted. In fact, there were police cars with lights flashing and officers directing traffic. Lots of traffic. Alan and I start giving each other the WTF look, and pull into the parking lot. Every car was spending a lot of time with the lot attendant, which seemed odd, so we asked the attendant if we were in the right lot. We were.
Then we started noticing the people getting out of their cars in the parking lot. Now, let me tell you a bit about Frank Turner. He calls himself a folk/punk singer. Some of his songs are more folk and some more punk, but the people getting out of their cars did not look like they were dressed for a folk OR a punk show. Women in stiletto heels and fishnets, guys with arm measurements bigger than their IQ's. So we were still giving each other the WTF face.
We both decided we had to know what was happening there. So we raced each other on our Droids. I won. "Masquerade Fight Night". Twelve rings of Mixed Martial Arts, fight (nearly) to the death, no holds barred. Nothing at all like Frank Turner. Luckily, the venue has 2 sections: "Heaven" upstairs and "Hell" downstairs. Frank was in Hell, possibly not for the last time lol.
And the show ROCKED! Definitely in my top 3 of all time. And you want to know the best part? Before the show, FT went out to the merch table and chatted with someone, and I had a pretty good view (you know, through the corner of my eye when I was pretending not to stare? yeah). And I saw him leave the merch table and run up the little stairs on the side of the venue, and he looked really, really, genuinely, truly HAPPY! I loved that!
No comments:
Post a Comment