Friday, March 9, 2012

Conference

Tonight was the parent-teacher conference at Charlotte's preschool. It went very well! All of her teachers commented on how bright and quick to learn she is. She naps well and eats lunch well (and they love how cute her lunches are lol). She is doing a typical job learning and adjusting to the Montessori structure and rules (don't touch others' work or their bodies, clean your messes, etc). She is happy and seems to like school, loves her teachers, and they love her back. When I mentioned the slim possibility of her going to the public Montessori school next fall, they seemed disappointed, not just on a financial level :).

Now, her one issue is leaving the classroom and heading down the hall. She is fast as lightning and waits until the teachers' backs are turned. Thankfully she can't reach the magnetic release on the outside door, but she has gotten into the lobby/office area before. Not good, not good at all. So last night I had a talk with her about it, and the conversation was rather unbelievable. It's times like this I think she's really 42 trapped in a 2 year old body:

Me: I need to talk to you about you leaving your classroom.
Char: I just run away.
Me: Why do you do that?
Char: So the teacher will come get me.
Me: You want the teacher to come get you?
Char: Yes. I just miss her.
Me: You miss her? Do you think you want attention?
Char: Yes, I want attention.
Me: Hmmmm. Can you think of another way you might get the teacher's attention?
Char: (I swear this is the truth) I could push someone over.
Me: (shocked, trying not to laugh or cry or run away screaming) Um, that might get the teacher's attention but it wouldn't be very nice. Can you think of a nice way you might get attention?


After a moment of total silence...

Me: What do you think would happen if you asked the teacher for a hug?
Char: OK, mommy, I can say, "I want a hug".

1 comment: