Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hate Letters -- but not hate mail

I'm not sure if I've mentioned before about Charlotte's complete disinterest in "symbols" (i.e. letters and numbers). She loves the alphabet song and enjoys counting, but the actual letter A or number 9 symbol, no interest at all. Aside from occasionally rearranging the magnetic letters on the fridge, she just ignores them pretty much.

So I decided to do a little experiment the other night. I was reading this horrible cheap pop-up book we inherited third-hand. For some reason she loves it. So we were counting the teddy bears on one page, and she was explaining to me that the baby sheep is called a lamb and lambs say Baaaa and the teddy bear was feeding the lamb with a bottle of milk, and over there is a purple butterfly, etc etc. She was clearly enthralled. So I said, "Charlotte, what's this letter?" ::crickets:: So I tried, "I see the letter B. Can you find the B?"

And suddenly her feet were the most interesting thing in the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment